Subscribe today & don’t miss a thing!
Once a week we’ll tell you the upcoming daily celebrations & the articles you may have missed.
I vividly remember a time when I was embarrassed by eyebrow dandruff. My husband and I were attending a couples retreat and I was so self-conscious of my appearance that I just couldn’t enjoy myself. I felt like I was the ugliest person in the room because everyone else was at their best. Yes, eyebrow dandruff isn’t the end of the world, but it can be a big deal to those who suffer from it.
What is eyebrow dandruff?
Don’t despair! It is quite common – about 50% of adults experience it at some time – and it can be controlled.
5 Causes of Eyebrow Dandruff
- dry skin – the most common cause with flakes that are smaller & less oily than those from other causes
- malassezia – a yeast-like fungus that irritates the skin, causing more cells to grow & the old skin to flake off
- psoriasis – a skin condition with a buildup of dry skin cells that form thick scales
- soborrheic dermatitis – red, irritated, oily skin covered with flaky white or yellow scales
- eczema – a chronic, inflammatory skin condition with red, itchy patches of skin
More dandruff info from Dr Pimple Popper
Here is more information from a pro who knows, Dr. Sandra Lee, also known as the famous Dr Pimple Popper. (Dandruff on your head is the same dandruff experienced on other parts of the body, such as eyebrows, knees & elbows or a man’s chest.)
How to Treat Eyebrow Dandruff
Do you have dandruff on your scalp too?
If you have dandruff on your scalp, the cause of your eyebrow dandruff is most likely from the same ailment and the best remedy would be to use the medicated shampoo that is working for your other dandruff problem.
There are different types of dandruff shampoos – classified by their active ingredient – and you may need to experiment until you find the one that works right for you.
Zinc Pyrithione Shampoos
These shampoos use antibacterial and antifungal agent zinc pyrithione for seborrheic dermatitis or eczema.
Coal tar helps seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis by slowing how quickly skin cells die and flake off.
Do you have dry skin on other parts of your body?
If your eyebrow dandruff is caused by dry skin, you’ll likely have dry skin on other parts of your body as well. The answer? Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.
During your morning routine, include your eyebrows when applying your usual facial moisturizer. At night, exfoliate your eyebrow area too and use a heavy covering of night cream in the area when you go to bed.
It might take a few applications before you see improvement.
Do you prefer to use topical creams?
Use a topical anti-fungal cream to treat malassezia.
Use an ointment or wash to treat psoriasis.
I hope this general information about eyebrow dandruff and treatments helps. Please understand that this information is not advice, and should not be treated as such. Please don’t rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor. If symptoms persist, see a doctor for a correct diagnosis and prescription for stronger treatment.
Like this? Want more?
Want more, more often?
- Put more play in your day with a list of the week’s upcoming daily holidays.
- See excerpts from the week’s articles so you can read the ones that interest you at your leisure.
- Get links to our freebies.
- See the best easy recipes that were printed