Subscribe today & don’t miss a thing!
Once a week we’ll tell you the upcoming daily celebrations & the articles you may have missed.
Here is our secret to success when baking peanut butter cookies made with butter.
The key to success is: you MUST chill the cookie dough before baking.
Here’s why: butter is a fat and fat melts fast. (In the oven. lol)
You don’t want the butter to melt too fast, or your cookies will spread & be thin and lifeless.
You must be patient when baking the most delicious peanut butter cookies. Cookie dough with butter should chill for at least 2 hours.
But there’s a plus side: you can mix the dough ahead of time and then be less stressed when you bake your cookies just as the kids come in the door from school – or whenever you want the yummy fragrance wafting through your home.
Butter is the secret ingredient to making them oh-so-delicious, with a crumbly goodness, but it does come with a cost. If you have a craving and just can’t wait, peanut butter cookies made with butter aren’t a good choice. They will not be appealing. Try one our other peanut butter cookie recipes.
I’ve been thinking that the above statement might be a little harsh, so I tried something. I used cold butter and made the cookies right away. I cut the butter up into little slices and mixed it all in my candy red Kitchen Aide mixer. They turned out perfectly! (In fact, I’ve been using this recipe for decades and they may have turned out the best yet.)
So, if you’re in a hurry to satisfy your peanut butter cookie craving, give it a try. You will have to use an electric mixer, though. You won’t be able to do it by hand.
If you want to print only the recipe, use the button below. If you would like to print the whole article – including the recipe – please use the print button on the floating bar to the left.
Peanut Butter Cookies Made With Butter
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c butter room temperature
- 1/2 c peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cream sugars and butter until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Stir in peanut butter until mixed.
- Blend in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Shape dough into a large ball in bottom of bowl and cover the ball tightly with plastic wrap. Chill in fridge for 2 hours. (See notes.)
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Drop dough by tablespoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Make the iconic criss cross mark on top by lightly squishing them down with a floured fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes until set with the edges lightly browning. (If you cook them too long, they will be hard.)
- Allow them to cool slightly on the cookie sheet. (If you don't they'll crumble to pieces.)
- Then lift onto rack to cool completely.
Want more, more often?
Sign up for our weekly Newsletter!
- You’ll see photos of the recipes published in the last week so you can print them if you want
- You’ll get excerpts from the past week’s articles to read at your leisure
- You’ll get the next week’s daily holidays so you can plan to put more play in your day
Just great food & great fun.
Unsubscribe at any time.
Do you know someone who would love to see this? Please share!
Subscribe today & don't miss a thing!
Once a week we'll tell you the upcoming daily celebrations & the articles you may have missed.