Bacon Fever started in 1988 when the website BBQ Addicts posted their recipe for the mother of all bacon recipes – the Bacon Explosion – on their website. That’s the day bacon went viral.
Now every bacon lover (including my son) and BBQ Pitmaster has made at least one.
Here is an overview of how to make a Bacon Explosion or Bacon Bomb:
- 2 pound thick cut bacon
- 2 pounds Italian sausage
- 1 jar of your favorite BBQ Sauce
- 1 jar of your favorite sugar-based BBQ Rub
- Cooked, chopped bacon
- Create a basket weave 5 bacon strips by 5 bacon strips on aluminum foil. (1 pound of the bacon.) Add BBQ seasoning on top.
- [img src=”http://thepassionatehomemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/bacon-weave-for-bacon-explosion.png” width=”700″ height=”467″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”basket weave for bacon explosion”]
- Sprinkle the top with BBQ Rub.
- Flatten the Italian Sausage into a 1 inch thick rectangle on top of the bacon weave.
- Fry the remaining pound of bacon, chop into large pieces and layer on Italian Sausage
- Drizzle on some BBQ sauce.
- Use the foil to roll the sausage into a loaf. Pinch sausage seam to seal.
- Now finish rolling loaf until Bacon weave is completely wrapped around.
- Cook at 250 for 2 hours on the barbecue or in the overn until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Occasionally brush with more BBQ sauce.
- Cut into slices and serve with a side dish or on a biscuit or bun as a sandwich.
The boys had a blast making it – as much or maybe even more fun that eating it. Unfortunately they didn’t take pics, so thanks to the other bacon lovers who shared their photos.