- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Combine cocoa, sugar, salt, and about 2 tablespoons milk in a pan. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
- Whisk milk and heat on medium heat until hot. Stir in your choice of extract and serve.
- If you like it frothy, blend it in the blender – just remember that when blending hot liquid only fill blender half full or less.
Julianna’s French Silk Chocolate
This is my mother-in-law’s recipe that I’ve used myself. Soooo good, work the extra effort.
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, cut into pieces
- 1/2 c cold water
- 3/4 c white sugar
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 c hot milk
- Combine chocolate and water in pan, cook over direct heat 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and beat with mixer until smooth. Add sugar and salt.
- Return to heat and cook 4 minutes.
- Cool and fold in whipped cream and vanilla.
- Place 1 tablespoon of chocolate mixture in mug, pour in hot milk. Stir well to blend.
How to Make a BIG Batch of Hot Chocolate in the Crock Pot
Before we go skiing or out in the cold, I put hot chocolate in the crock pot so we can enjoy it when we return.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Pinch salt
- Marshmallows or whipped cream (optional)
- Spray your crock pot generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate in microwave: Microwave on medium and check every 10 seconds until mostly melted then stir until completely melted.
- Add melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk inside crock pot. Mix well.
- Whisk in the milk & vanilla, and add the pinch of salt.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Stir before serving.
Mulled Hot Chocolate
This recipe is perfect for a romantic evening or a Christmas get-together.
- 1 quart chocolate milk
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole allspice or 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 rind from a whole orange
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Cut the skin off an orange, removing the pith. Next, julienne the orange peel and set aside.
- Pour chocolate milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add sugar, cinnamon sticks, allspice and orange rind. Then remove from heat for 10-15 minutes.
- After the spices have steeped in the milk, reheat the mixture to a very low heat and add chocolate chunks, stirring occasionally until melted (takes about 3-5 minutes).
- Carefully pour hot chocolate mixture through a metal strainer to remove spices and finish by adding vanilla extract.
- Pour into individual mugs and top off hot chocolate with whipped cream and julienned orange peel, if desired.
Recipe and photos of Mulled Hot Chocolate by National Dairy Council via Family Features
See how to make hot chocolate even more amazing with our tips for toppings and flavorings.