Subscribe today & don’t miss a thing!
Once a week we’ll tell you the upcoming daily celebrations & the articles you may have missed.
No, not this kind of Black Cow. . .
We love animals as much as the next guy, but we mean something that will remind us that the warm weather is finally here.
Something that’s sure to bring the little kid out in each of us.
Something very tasty.
Our favorite kind of Black Cow is a root beer float!
A mountain was the inspiration for the first Black Cow. Really.
One hot night in August of 1893, Frank J. Wisner of Cripple Creek, Colorado was staring out the window, thinking about the soda water he made.
He looked at the snow capped Cow Mountain in the moonlight and thought of vanilla ice cream.
He raced to his bar and added a scoop of vanilla ice cream to Myers Avenue Red Root Beer and enjoyed the very first Black Cow ice cream float.
Here is a recipe for the Black Cow ice cream float, but you can try it with your favorite things to see if you prefer it a little different. Try chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla, or cola instead of root beer.
Don’t forget to post a photo of your creation on social media with the hash tag #BlackCowDay.
Black Cow Ice Cream Float
- 2 tbsp chocolate sauce
- 8 oz root beer or cola
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream or chocolate ice cream
- whipped cream topping
- chocolate shavings or sprinkles
- maraschino cherry
- Chill a mug or tall glass.
- Pour chocolate syrup into the bottom of the glass.
- Add the vanilla ice cream.
- Slowly fill glass with root beer. (It will foam.)
- Garnish as desired.
- Serve with a paper straw and spoon with long handle.
Want more, more often?
Sign up for our weekly newsletter
- see the best easy recipes published in the last week
- see excerpts from last week’s articles to read at your leisure
- see the next week’s daily holidays to put more play in your day
Great food and great fun.
Unsubscribe at any time.