Carrot Shaped Carrot Cake
Recipe Type: Cake
- [url href=”http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-5685320-10961099?url=https%3A%2F%2Fjellybelly.com%2Fproduct%2F152″ target=”_blank”]Sunkist Orange Jelly Belly[/url] and [url href=”http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-5685320-10961099?url=https%3A%2F%2Fjellybelly.com%2Fproduct%2F142″ target=”_blank”]Green Apple Jelly Belly[/url] Jelly Beans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups lightly packed shredded carrots (about 5 or 6) or 1 (10-ounce) bag pre-shredded carrots
- 2 (16-ounce) cans vanilla frosting
- Green and orange food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9 x 13 pan with wax paper.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat together eggs and both sugars until well blended. Slowly add oil, milk and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture to bowl, a third at a time, and beat until smooth. Fold in shredded carrots.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
- Cut cake once across 9-inch width to create a 9 x 10- and a 9 x 3-inch section.
- For 9 x 10 piece: Place small dot of frosting in center of top and bottom 9-inch edges. Then, place dot on left and right edges, 1 inch down from top edge. Carefully make 4 cuts through cake, from dot on top edge to dots on left and right, then from dots on left and right to dot on bottom edge. Discard 2 small triangles of cake resulting beside top dot.
- For 9 x 3 piece: Carefully cut diagonally from top left corner to bottom right. Notch out short sides of resulting triangles to create “carrot tops” (2 stems/leaves). Discard notched-out pieces.
- Arrange 4-sided piece of cake from step 5a on serving platter. Cover top surface with melted chocolate mixture. Gently flip 2 large triangles from step 5a and arrange side-by-side on chocolate surface, aligning edges with 4-sided cake layer below. Arrange 2 “carrot tops” from step 5b on serving platter above 2-layer “carrot” (see photo). Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, tint 1 cup vanilla frosting green and 2 cups orange. Remove cake from refrigerator and spread with very thin layer of green frosting on “stems and leaves” and orange frosting on carrot. Return to refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Frost cake with another layer of orange and green icing. Decorate with yellow, orange and green jellybeans as shown in photo.
Did this information help you?