Subscribe today & don’t miss a thing!
Once a week we’ll tell you the upcoming daily celebrations & the articles you may have missed.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- can with pull tab – MUST have lip for can opener
- can opener – best type is the kind that leaves no sharp edges because it takes the bottom off the can
- your choice of candy
- sign for inside can
- glue gun
Step One: Remove the Bottom of the Can
When you purchase your pull tab can, be sure that it has a lip for the can opener to catch on. Most have a rounded bottoms.
Remove the bottom of the can with a can opener. (Our can opener is the style that removes the bottom of the can rather than just the circle inside the lip of the can. This makes it easier to glue the bottom back on later.)
Remove the contents of the can and set aside to eat later. Clean inside can without getting label wet. Dry.
Step Two: Fill Can with New Contents
Put the sign inside the can first with the writing facing down so when they open the pull tab they’ll be able to read it.
- If it is for you kid’s lunch on April Fools Day something like “Surprise! Love Mom” is all you’ll need.
- If it is intended to be an April Fools Day invitation, decide if you want to make one sign or create layers with a couple signs. The first sign can say “You’re invited” with a layer of candy and then another sign with the date, time and place, another layer of candy and then the name of party host on the very bottom.
- If you want it to be a prank, the sign could say “You won” with a layer of candy and then another sign that tells them they got punk’d.
Next, fill the can with candy. We chose marshmallow bananas because its funny to have candy fruit inside the fruit cocktail can.
Step Three: Glue Bottom Back on Can
With the inside side of the can bottom facing you, put a bead of glue around the inside edge with the glue gun.
Carefully pick up the bottom, turn it over and put it on the can. (Tin could be hot from the glue, and the glue is definitely hot.)
*Our tip: have a bowl of cold water handy to dip your fingers in – just in case you touch the hot glue.
When the glue has dried, remove any excess that is showing by rubbing it with your finger or using knife if necessary.
Did this information help you?
Do you know someone who would love to see this? Please share!
Subscribe today & don't miss a thing!
Once a week we'll tell you the upcoming daily celebrations & the articles you may have missed.