Recipe created by Champion Pitmaster Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson BBQ – see his grilling tips.
How to guide to perfect pork ribs is a great overview before beginning:
- 2 slabs loin back ribs (baby back)
- 1 cup KC Masterpiece Original Barbecue Sauce
- Dry Rub
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons garlic salt
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Liquid Seasoning
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry rub mix (above)
- Remove membrane from the back of rib slabs. In a small bowl, combine dry rub ingredients and mix well. Reserve one tablespoon of the rub for the liquid seasoning mixture. Generously apply dry rub onto front and back sides of ribs. Gently pat to ensure that rub will adhere.
- Build a charcoal fire for indirect cooking by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Add a small aluminum pan to the void side of the grill and fill it halfway with water. When the charcoal grill reaches 250°F, place ribs meat-side up on grill grate and cook over indirect heat for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Remove ribs from grill. Place each slab meat-side down on its own doubled aluminum foil square. The foil should be large enough to completely wrap each slab. Mix liquid seasoning in a small bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid over each slab. Then, tightly wrap and seal each slab with aluminum foil. Place the wrapped ribs back in cooker for 1 hour at 250°F.
- Remove ribs from grill, unwrap, and discard foil. Brush finishing glaze on both sides of ribs. Place ribs back on the grill for 15 minutes, or until sauce caramelizes.
Recipe, video and photos courtesy of Kingsford Charcoal via Family Features